Here at TIF, we’re proud of the staff that carries out our mission on a daily basis. Their dedication and hard work truly change the lives of Immokalee’s children — and that’s why we’re taking the time to recognize these outstanding individuals. This week, we’re pleased to introduce you to Lois Gomez. Lois recruits mentors for TIF’s Take Stock in Children program.
Here are some fun facts about Lois:
- She is an ex law enforcement officer with the Air Force.
- Her favorite part of working for The Immokalee Foundation is seeing the smiles on the children’s faces. “The thought of going to college never occurred to these children and their families, and now we are helping them reach for the stars,” she says.
- As for the future of Immokalee, the thing she’d most like to see is a town in which every child “receives a quality education, so they are ready for the future.”
- Her favorite movie is The Quiet Man.
- Her favorite ice cream flavor is soft vanilla dipped in chocolate from Tasty Treat.
Lois’ work with the Take Stock in Children students gives her a sense of accomplishment as she teams up with selfless volunteers and mentors to ensure that her students see academic and life progress. She says, “I wake up every day excited about the work I do. When you work with volunteers, you see the heart of the program. They are there because they want to make a difference in a child’s life. They aren’t paid and they have long car rides to Immokalee. They are amazing people who just want to give back.”