A roster of who’s who on the national golf scene joined 104 philanthropic Southwest Florida golfers for the recent Charity Classic Pro-Am tournament to benefit The Immokalee Foundation. The event raised more than $550,000 for the foundation’s educational programs benefiting the youth of Immokalee.
Held Nov. 13 at The Old Collier Golf Club, the low-net tournament paired each amateur foursome with one of the 26 participating PGA and LPGA professionals for the first and second nine holes of play. Groups were determined at a pairings party at The Old Collier Golf Club on Nov. 12.
Professional players included LPGA Hall of Famer Annika Sorenstam and LPGA Major Champion and 2016 Olympian Lexi Thompson; PGA Tour pros Dominic Bozzelli, Mark Calcavecchia, Alex Cejka, Russ Cochran, Tom Gillis, Dudley Hart, Will MacKenzie, Steve Marino, George McNeill, Greg Owen, Charlie Rymer, Nicholas Thompson and Will Wilcox; and LPGA Tour pros Marina Alex, Brittany Altomare, Laura Diaz, Jodi Ewart-Shadoff, Dani Holmqvist, Vicky Hurst, Paige Mackenzie, Annie Park, Alena Sharp, Emma Talley and Kris Tamulis.
“I’m pleased to play today to support the excellent programs of The Immokalee Foundation,” said Thompson.
Tamulis, a native Southwest Floridian, said, “I’m so proud to support The Immokalee Foundation. We supported the organization when I was at Naples High, so it’s a cause that’s important to me.”
McNeill added, “I’m Naples born and proud to give back to the community and help the kids of Immokalee.”
Tournament winners included:
• First place, men: Chuck Freeman, David Griffith, David Gordley, Patrick Trittler with golf pros Annika Sorenstam and Nicholas Thompson
• First place, ladies: Joan Parekh, Sunny Sapiente, Cindy Tucci, Terry Caveney with golf pros Annie Park and George McNeill
• First place, mixed: Bruce Duncan, Deborah Duncan, Beth Chensoff, Gary Chensoff with golf pros Laura Diaz and Will Wilcox
• Second place, men: Bob Tucci, John Sapiente, Don Fites, Don Huffner with golf pros Emma Talley and Dominic Bozzelli
• Second place, ladies: Kathy Pryor, Marie Stonesifer, Louise Penta, Ann Stallkamp with golf pros Kris Tamulis and Mark Calcavecchia
• Second place, mixed: Don Redlinger, Peggy Redlinger, Kaye Negri, Peter Negri with golf pros Paige Mackenzie and Russ Cochran
• Closest to the pin, men: Don McCullough
• Closest to the pin, ladies: Sunny Sapiente
Kevin Johnson of Morgan Stanley Private Wealth Management chaired the scramble-style competition for the seventh year. Johnson’s co-chairs were Sunny Sapiente of Bay Colony Golf Club and Patrick Trittler of Marsh Private Client Services.
Corporate sponsors were Florida Community Bank, presenting sponsor; Huntington Private Client Group, Success Circle sponsor; BMO Private Wealth Bank and IBERIABANK, Pathway Circle sponsors; and eBella magazine, media sponsor.
The Immokalee Foundation provides a range of education programs that focus on building pathways to success through college and post-secondary preparation and support, mentoring and tutoring, opportunities for broadening experiences, and life skills development leading to economic independence. To learn more about The Immokalee Foundation, volunteering as a career panel speaker or host, becoming a mentor, making a donation, including the foundation in your estate plans, or for additional information, call 239-430-9122 or visit www.immokaleefoundation.org.